Is 'the comb of the roof' similar with 'the ridge of the roof'?

enter image description here

Here is the picture. I guess the red-checked spot is the comb of the roof. Is it right?

  • Probably. Can you please cite where you saw this use? Without context it is impossible to know definitively. – Catija Aug 5 '15 at 4:59
  • If you found my answer helpful please upvote it. If you think it is the best answer, please select it. At the very least, leave a comment. A big problem with Stack Exchange is that there is no direct connection between the person who asks the question and the people who provide answers. In addition, of course, do not take it for granted that the same people will continue to provide answers for you without getting any direct feedback from you. – user20792 Aug 7 '15 at 0:20

It is a synonym for the ridge of a roof.

Ridge The line or edge formed where the two sloping sides of a roof meet at the top

(See Oxford Dictionary online), definition 1.1

Then the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) for "comb," 6e:

The crest or ridge of a roof. dialect

Here are two of the four examples from the OED

1869 ‘M. Twain’ Innocents Abroad xviii. 174 From the eaves to the comb of the roof.
1888 F. T. Elworthy W. Somerset Word-bk. Comb,..2. The ridge of a roof.

See also: Shelters, Shacks and Shanties (page 14):

Continue thus to the comb of the roof, then over the part where the bark of the sides meets on the top lay another layer of bark covering the crown, ridge, comb, or apex and protecting it from the rain.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.