This question was originally two questions, and has now been split. The other part of the question can be found here

desk with "footrest" (?) (see arrow)

It is a thing that is attached to a desk and onto which we can place our feet. Can I call this a "footrest"?
Is it correct if I say "You can place your feet on the footrest"?

  • 2
    This looks like it might be two questions ("can I call this a footrest?" and "what is the name for this hole?"). If true, you will need to split this into two questions.
    – Matt
    May 13, 2013 at 15:58
  • 2
    If you've ever been in a coffee shop in the US you will notice that everything is used as a footrest even if it isn't called a footrest. ;)
    – Xenson
    May 13, 2013 at 16:11
  • 1
    For first question: Yes! search footrests' images for student desks. And for the second one: It is better to say drawers. According to the wiki definition of desk: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeskDesks: Desks often have one or more drawers, compartments, or pigeon holes to store office supplies and papers. May 13, 2013 at 16:15
  • 2
    It's not really a footrest. The purpose of the bottom crosspiece there is to stabilize the desk frame. Without it, the legs will splay and the desk will break. It's just a coincidence that it serves as a footrest. Unless you believe in some kind of intelligent design. If so, you can call it a footrest.
    – user264
    May 13, 2013 at 16:21
  • 1
    I've split this question into two, after the OP failed to split the question themselves. The second part can now be found here: ell.stackexchange.com/questions/6388/…
    – Matt
    May 14, 2013 at 13:55

1 Answer 1


You can call it a footrest, but if it's not obviously designed to serve that purpose, you are probably better off calling it by a more generic name, in this case "crossbar". For the desk shown, I'd say that "crossbar" is the better choice since there's no pad or other foot-sized flat surface on the bar where your feet can fit comfortably.

  • 1
    In joinery the crossbar is called a "stretcher". May 13, 2013 at 17:26
  • Thanks a lot Hellion for explanations and new words (crossbar and compartment). It's useful.
    – nkm
    May 14, 2013 at 9:44
  • I'd tend to call that bar "a crossbar that I'm using as a footrest". :-)
    – Jay
    May 14, 2013 at 13:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .