There are many instances in the English language that we want to use a noun as a modifier but we want that noun to specify a number of things rather than just one.

As an example, I want to say that there is a particular group that is responsible for supervising all English journals published by a university.

Is it grammatically correct to write "English Journals Group"? Even though we know that modifying nouns should be used in their singular form.

  • automatic weapons ban, dry goods store
    – TimR
    Aug 12, 2015 at 12:28
  • Some more context is needed. If you write "English Journals Group", since it is capitalized it would be considered a title so it is what it is. If you mean "a group of English journals", then "English journals group". If you mean a "group that belongs to English Journals" (realizing this does not make a lot of sense) then "English journals' group".
    – user3169
    Aug 12, 2015 at 18:31

1 Answer 1


I believe it would be acceptable. Compare "recent graduates association".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .