Many times I see constructions like

the node's text , the node text

the node's tag, the node tag

the page elements, the page's elements

the page footer (to mean the footer of page), the page header...

I know that they are different but it seems sometimes they can be used in place of each other. for example what is the difference of

  • the page elements
  • the elements of page
  • the page's elements

I found it awkward to repeat the page's elements if I can't use "the page elements".

Are there times that we can use both an adjective and a possessive construction for something?

  • why not use pronouns to avoid repetition? - just a suggestion – shin Aug 18 '15 at 14:40
  • @shin in an article they may appear in various parts. – Ahmad Aug 18 '15 at 15:33

No, a noun adjunct (a noun modifying a noun) is not always interchangeable with possessive construction.

You cannot say that a 'mountain bike' is a bike owned by a mountain if you make it possessive (i.e., mountain's bike??)

'Node's tag' means that there is a node, and the tag (specified) is of that node.

'Node tag' means a tag used for a node (in general).

  • Maybe not the exact interchangeable, but I feel there are cases when "node's tag" and "node tag" are the same. or any other example you say. – Ahmad Aug 18 '15 at 13:35
  • please consider my other example in the updated question. – Ahmad Aug 18 '15 at 13:52
  • I found this explanation: ". . .you use the possessive for a more generic meaning, and the compound to pick out some more idiomatic. . ." source: [english.stackexchange.com/questions/87591/… – shin Aug 18 '15 at 13:55
  • @Ahmad The node's tag can say anything... a "node tag" would probably say "node". – Catija Aug 18 '15 at 15:10
  • @Catija some of my examples may don't work. but how about others? for example page footer to mean the footer of the page. – Ahmad Aug 18 '15 at 15:31

To me it seems to be related to whether X is a part of Y. In these cases, the node is made up of a text and tag, the page is made up of elements, the page has header and footer parts. In cases where Y contains X like this, then to specify what kind of X you mean you can say the Y X, which is the kind of X inside a Y.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.