I'm looking for a word that represents a young wood of forest. In German, you would say "junger Bestand". What is the equivalent English expression - young stand, young stock or some other word?

  • sorry, in case that anyone knows an expression... – parallax Aug 19 '15 at 18:35
  • A young grove comes to mind if you mean the entire forested area. A young stand could also work for a few trees within an area. Sapling is a word for a young tree. Can you further clarify if you mean a tree or a group of trees? – Michael Dorgan Aug 19 '15 at 18:36
  • Thank you Michael, yes I mean it could be a few trees in a smaller area or even a reforested area (few hectars). – parallax Aug 19 '15 at 18:40
  • 5
    Possibly "new growth forest" or "new growth woodland". – Tᴚoɯɐuo Aug 19 '15 at 21:09
  • For a plantation of trees - "afforestation". – Victor Bazarov Aug 20 '15 at 1:55

I grew up in a large forest where logging happened frequently. "New growth forest" is the term used for an area that had been logged and had new trees growing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.