I am working at an organisation that helps young adults/adolescents who receive income supplement/welfare by providing them with a job at said organisation for a period of 3 or 6 months, after which they can (hopefully) find a regular job or go back to school. If translated literally, it would be learning-working company, but I don't know if it would be called learning company or is there a special word for such an organisation?

  • 1
    This phrase can also be used in a broader context, but this company could be seen as a stepping stone for the young adults towards a better job. – Sander Aug 19 '15 at 20:03
  • That sounds good. I asked my friend from London as well and she suggested job rehabilitation scheme for underpriviliged people, but yours is more convenient when used in a conversation haha. Thanks! – Nanneke Aug 20 '15 at 7:10
  • I'll post it as an answer then, so that this question is resolved ;) – Sander Aug 20 '15 at 7:37

When this sort of thing is offered to a job seeker through the job centre, it is called a work placement, but there isn't a word for the company, it's just 'this company is offering work placements'.


You could use the phrase stepping stone:

a circumstance that assists progress towards some goal (source)

The company can be seen as a stepping stone for young adults towards a better job.

As the definition shows, this phrase can also be used in many other contexts.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.