If I want to use layout as an adjective, do I need to change its end part? If a component has been formatted and positioned using a layout that is properly configured, which should I use?

  1. The component is properly layout.


  1. The component is properly layouted.
  • In English layout cannot be verbed. In fact a more natural version would be The component is properly *rendered*. – ccpizza Sep 30 '15 at 13:40
  • @ccpizza Interesting point. Why wouldn't I be able to veribify this (or any other) word? I've always thought that any noun could be used as a verb. E.g. a horse and horsing (around) or a beer, (hey, buddy) beer (me). – Konrad Viltersten Sep 30 '15 at 14:19
  • Indeed, while the general rule in English is that Any noun can be verbed, and any verb can be nouned (which to me sounds both funny and ugly), there are always exceptions, and the easiest way to verify it would be a good dictionary, such as Webster's Unabridged, OED, or American Heritage - all of them list layout only as noun. For non-native speakers I would highly recommend LDOCE. And for style issues The Elements of Style is the de-facto standard: free original edition: bartleby.com/141, the modern edited and expanded edition: goo.gl/xWI2zZ) – ccpizza Oct 1 '15 at 9:00

Adjective? I'm afraid, it's not.

However, if you want to use 'layout' in that way, you may say..

The component is properly laid out.

Check WW Online ...

layout - A plan or design of something that is laid out

Tip: Modify the 'main verb' in words like 'lay out', 'kick off', switch on/off and not the other word. Said that, it'll be laid, kicked, switched respectively. So, never modify 'out' as 'outed', 'off' as 'offed' and so on!

| improve this answer | |
  • I thought I was using the verb layout. As opposed to lay out. Perhaps it's not a real word (yet) despite my autocomplete's opinion, hehe. – Konrad Viltersten Aug 28 '15 at 8:58
  • Still...a single word 'layout' is a noun – Maulik V Aug 28 '15 at 9:07
  • Of course a layout is a noun but when used as a transitive verb, i.e. to layout sth, I'd say it's a verb. Am I mistaken? Of course, I just realized that the correct form will be layouted then. – Konrad Viltersten Aug 28 '15 at 19:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.