We say breast feeding when a woman feeds her own human milk to her baby directly. Then,what will we say in case of four footed animals ?


I want to know that as we use the name of the part of body i.e. breast (from which milk is coming out) in case of human beings, can we use the name of the part of body (from which milk is coming out i.e. abdomen) for many four footed animals in case of animals? Or will the meaning be very odd (vulgar) if we say a new term -'abdomen feeding' (for animals).

  • 4
    Is this even worldbuilding? Perhaps English, English Language Learners, or Biology would be more appropriate. – Obie 2.0 Sep 11 '15 at 4:27
  • 1
    "Suckling", "nursing", and "breastfeeding" are all used to describe the activity (both giving and receiving, oddly). "Suckling" is usually used for animals but is sometimes used for humans. I think "breastfeeding" is only used for humans. "Nursing" is used for both. – Wim Lewis Sep 11 '15 at 9:01


Both the feeding and the eating are called suckling. It's a weird word in that it can be used as a noun (refering to the animal who is drinking the milk) or as a verb (referring to either the act of feeding or the act of eating).

  • We say breast feeding for human being.what is the term that can be used like breast feeding in case of a cow? – MANILAL AHEIBAM Sep 11 '15 at 4:23
  • @MANILALAHEIBAM Suckling. – Samuel Sep 11 '15 at 4:25
  • 6
    Also "nursing" which is used for both humans and animals – slebetman Sep 11 '15 at 6:55
  • Question edited. Kindly review – Maulik V Sep 12 '15 at 5:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.