enter image description here

What is Name or word for the edges in the top of windows outside the building/house which are marked in the pictures? In most buildings/houses which is big where a person can stand or even sit. Not I'm not referring cornice, balcony or porch.

I just found, in India we call this slab. Does any agree with this word?

  • 2
    I'd call this a (window) overhang, I think, or perhaps an awning. – WendiKidd May 25 '13 at 20:35
  • I found a few other options: i.stack.imgur.com/ruoid.gif. As for slab, nope. Slabs are located inside the house where we keep/store cartons etc. – hjpotter92 Jul 8 '13 at 7:47

This used to be called a pentice (really the old spelling and pronunciation of penthouse) or a pent(ice) roof , but it appears that this term is no longer so widely known or used as it once was.

On Google I find many architects and builders calling it simply an overhang or a window overhang; and that is probably a better term anyway, since a pentice should be a sloping roof, like a fabric awning.

You are not alone in finding a name hard to track down: here is a question about it at *doityourself.com

|improve this answer|||||
  • thanks a lot. But are you sure it's called Window overhang? On google if I search "Window overhang", almost everything has a sloping roof. – T2E May 26 '13 at 3:33
  • @T2E Well, it overhangs a window, so it's got my vote. You could specify horizontal or pitched if you wanted to be more specific about it. – snailcar May 26 '13 at 6:35
  • @snailboat I just found, in India we call this slab. Do you agree with this word? – T2E Jul 8 '13 at 5:32
  • @T2E I would accept that it /is/ a slab... that overhangs the window. Without extra information supplied in the sentence this is definitely not what it would make me think of, though. "Window overhang" sounds good to me as well. – Emmabee Jul 8 '13 at 6:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for?Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.