Another new Japanese food shop has opened just next to our office bulding. They have prepared different kinds of cooked food for walk-in order.

The cooked foods are kept in good condition in several window cabinets.

Is there a specific term for when someone like me is looking around for what to eat in the food shop: is it called food window shopping?

  • 2
    You make eye contact and say something to the shop attendant. Just looking is what I usually say. Commented Sep 18, 2015 at 18:46

1 Answer 1


"Browsing" is not specific to food but would be a good word to use for this activity (looking around to help you decide what to buy) in any shop. ("Browse" is defined here.)

"Window shopping" (Merriam-Webster definition here) suggests that you do not plan to buy anything.

  • Hi vstrong. Do you mean that it is grammatical to write, "I am browsing the food", or just "I am browsing" ?
    – kitty
    Commented Sep 18, 2015 at 19:03
  • 2
    Unless you are "browsing the Internet," "browse" generally is not transitive. You would normally simply say "I am browsing." Describing it to someone else, you could say "I was browsing in the new Japanese restaurant."
    – vstrong
    Commented Sep 19, 2015 at 0:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .