When I was buying some food in a supermarket, an assistant gave me a leaflet in A5 size.

There is some information about the job vacancies in this supermarket.

Can you tell me the name of this kind of leaflet which has job advertisements on it please?

Is it called job advertisement leaflet?

Thank you.

  • 2
    I don't think there is. I think you just need to form an attributive noun for it as you did. Job vacancy/advertisement leaflet. Sep 20, 2015 at 6:42

1 Answer 1


Some people might call this a want ad (ad here is short for advertisement).

Want ad is a generic term used for the place where people post goods for sale or advertise for services wanted. Some newspapers have a want ad section. Some want ads have one particular focus, like automobiles for sale, or apartments for rent.

In the case of a local supermarket advertising local jobs, some might think want ad is too much of a stretch, and that want ads should be broader in scope than one local store. But published definitions allow for some wiggle room. M-W defines want ad as:

a notice in a newspaper, magazine, etc., that lets people know about something that you want to buy or sell, a job that is available, etc.

While TFD says:

a classified advertisement in a newspaper, magazine, etc, for something wanted, such as property or employment

Sometimes these are also referred to as classified ads. Personally, I would regard classified ads as something more widespread than a local store (I picture something like this newspaper page, e.g.), but I think want ad might work.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .