From my understanding the difference between Passive voice and Active voice is based on action. For example, "Steve loves Amy" - active. "Amy is loved by Steve." - passive.
Now what if there is no action in my sentence? How do I know whether it's active voice or passive voice? Here are a few examples.
- There is a dog lying on the floor. - Here "lying" is not an action but state.
- The moon is visible through the window. - No action here.
- There are several display panels around the control deck. - No action. This is just a statement which describes a scene.
- John and David are sitting on the floor.
- There are a few other kinds of flowers in the garden.
Basically all these sentences are trying to describe a scene or picture. No action is performed by anybody here. I'm not sure whether these are active or passive voice, and if so, how? Are these sentence neither active nor passive voice?