For example, we can simplify "a person who is invited by somebody" as "invitee". And does a short form exist for "a person who invites another person"?


Inviter is someone that invites.

Generally, the thing that instigates the action will have an -er ending, and the thing that is in receipt will have -ee ending.

Inviter - someone who invites

Invitee - someone who is invited

Employer - someone who employs

Employee - someone who is employed

  • 1
    But some agent nouns sound very unnatural, and are rarely used. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 8 '15 at 9:01
  • @EdwinAshworth, this is true. And has been suggested 'host' or some other word might be more natural, depending on context. – Graham Nicol Oct 8 '15 at 9:05

It could be called a "host", for one, in case he invites people to a party which he is holding.


  • "Hostess" is the female form of this meaning of "host". – Jasper Oct 10 '15 at 17:40

I think "Host" is the closest answer, although in some cases it could be "Sponsor".

However, I don't think "inviter" is the answer at all (according to dictionary.com) in reality there is no straightforward word in English for that, I guess it has skipped usage all these years.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.