what do you call these pants? Maybe knickers?


This style ending around the calf is called capri pants. Another type that ends above the ankle is called flood pants. A similar style from the 1950's is called pedal pushers, and an even older style is called knickerbockers. Most generally, these are all types of three-quarter pants.


The standard British term is Pedal Pushers:

calf-length trousers or jeans worn by women

Fashion items have a whole variety of names to embrace the subtlety of variations in length and design, which probably extend beyond a plain language issue. Because of fashion we also find them called capri pant, leggings and a whole variety of other synonyms.

As a side note, in British English, both the words pants and knickers would refer to undergarments.

In historical times, a similar garment might be called knickerbockers but that word is almost exclusively used for historical costumes.

  • As a BrEng speaker in my 20s, I would use neither "pedal pushers" nor "knickerbockers". I've heard of both terms, but both seem so dated to me that I'm not even aware of their definitions. – James Webster Oct 20 '15 at 14:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.