For example, suppose that in a queue two objects are next after to each other, what is the word to describe them

two succeeding objects?

  • two thing next after each other ? is it a circle or my English is terrible ?
    – Cardinal
    Oct 23, 2015 at 21:16
  • 1
    "two things, one after the other"
    – user3169
    Oct 23, 2015 at 21:38
  • 2
    Successive might work for you, although it doesn't always mean only two. (Three successive attempts to climb Mt. Everest failed. In two successive years, I spent more money on repairing my car than I was able to save. If you win too may successive hands in Vegas, they may ask you to leave the casino.) Consecutive works about the same way.
    – Adam
    Oct 23, 2015 at 21:52
  • Difference between successive and consecutive: english.stackexchange.com/questions/5790/…
    – Adam
    Oct 23, 2015 at 21:55
  • Subsequent: Coming after something in time; following. TBH though, I don't really understand the question.
    – Joe Dark
    Oct 24, 2015 at 12:32

1 Answer 1


Two things in a queue, such that one thing follows the other, are called "adjacent". We also describe them as "next to each other".

They can't be "after each other", either one is after the other or vice versa, the other is after the one, if the queue has a direction, that is.

  • Thanks, but your answer lacks the main question, as one suggested "successive".
    – Ahmad
    Oct 24, 2015 at 12:23
  • Sure. Once you know one answer, others come easy, don't they? Hind sight and all that... Just use a thesaurus. Oct 24, 2015 at 12:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .