When you are watching TV and you turn the volume up or down with the remote control say from 17 to 16, 9 to 10, etc., how do you describe that single amount of volume? Is the word notch correct to describe this single amount of volume i.e. turn the volume down a notch, turn the volume up a few notches?


Calling it a notch would be fine.

The scientific unit of measure is a decibel, but that isn't something you would say unless you're talking to someone who knows what it is, and you know how that correlates to the gradations on the remote control.

  • 1
    +1 for the last clause: I know very well what a decibel is, but I had absolutely no idea that the volume ratings on the TV were actually in proper decibels. I'd always assumed they were some arbitrary unit chosen by the TV manufacturer.
    – KRyan
    Jun 11 '13 at 20:12
  • 6
    @KRyan If I understand correctly, that is indeed what Xenson is saying--sound is measured in decibels but the TV volume notches are arbitrary, so it would be meaningless to refer to them as decibels unless you knew that (for example) 6 notches equated to 1 decibel. Am I understanding correctly, Xenson?
    – WendiKidd
    Jun 11 '13 at 21:07
  • 4
    "But this TV goes to 11..." :^)
    – J.R.
    Jun 11 '13 at 23:11
  • TV notches are definitely not in decibels, because decibels are a logarithmic scale, but you want your volume control to be linear, so that each notch creates the same increase or decrease in volume.
    – Beejamin
    Mar 9 '16 at 22:16
  • 1
    @Beejamin I'm pretty sure it's the exact opposite actually - for audio the perception is logarithmic such that most controls are designed to be logarithmic Aug 11 '19 at 16:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.