Is there any term for the letter 's' that changes the nouns from singular to plural?

Boy - Boys

I want the term for that 's'.

  • 3
    Some people call it a plural marker. Of course, it's not the only one in English.
    – user20792
    Nov 6, 2015 at 1:22
  • 1
    You can call it plural-s or plural ending.
    – rogermue
    Nov 6, 2015 at 1:30

2 Answers 2


It's the regular plural suffix, -(e)s.


To quote the beginning of the fifth paragraph of the article Plural:

The English plural marker is represented in writing as -s,...

The quoted source is just one of many and you can do an internet search for "plural marker" to find others.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .