Consider the word rotor. Whichever way you read it, from left to right or from right to left, you get the same word.

Is there any specific word for words like this?

  • 1
    A little tip! You may first check 'Reverso' dictionary that gives you a word depending on the description. Test it: Search: word that reads the same reverse and see the magic! :) – Maulik V Nov 6 '15 at 8:33
  • @User1 Different people use different conventions to signify a linguistic structure... I've seen all-caps used by many newbies around ELL that don't know the English-language conventions. – Nihilist_Frost Nov 6 '15 at 15:00

This is called a palindrome:

a word, verse, or sentence (as “Able was I ere I saw Elba”) or a number (as 1881) that reads the same backward or forward



As it is clear from the meaning that it is not only limited to words, but phrases, sentences and numbers, too. Allowances may be made for adjustments to capital letters, punctuation, and word dividers.


  • Nurses run.
  • A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
  • A Santa lived as a devil at NASA.
  • 12321

There is another word, semordnilap, which is nothing but palindromes spelled backward. However, semordnilap is a name coined for words that spell a different word in reverse.


stressed <=> desserts


Wiki and Merriam-webster

| improve this answer | |

That is called a palindrome; as the Google dictionary defines it:

A word, phrase, or sequence that reads the same backwards as forwards

| improve this answer | |
  • At first you mixed it up with pantomime, as the link still showed it :-) – Impair Nov 6 '15 at 15:48
  • @Impair Ah didn't realize it thanks for pointing it out. – CipherBot Nov 6 '15 at 23:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.