I'm looking for a slang, phrasal verb or a word that explains people looking at something or someone. E.g. when people gather around a new-born baby and look at it with joy. Or when someone is looking at the marvelous painting hung at the wall.

closed as too broad by user21503, Chenmunka, Brian Tompsett - 汤莱恩, Nihilist_Frost, Nathan Tuggy Nov 12 '15 at 21:58

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


to admire comes very close:

to look at (something or someone) with enjoyment

MW gives the following example sentence:

We gazed out the window and admired the scenery

  • +1 nice search. Another option could be gaze - to look steadily at somebody/something for a long time, either because you are very interested or surprised. However, it's a poorer choice to your word. :) – Maulik V Nov 10 '15 at 10:20
  • Admiring or gazing at the new-born, doesn't sound good. – Ardis Ell Nov 10 '15 at 12:55
  • @ArdisEll - Why do you think that doesn't sound good? "Admiring the newborn" is perfectly normal, standard English. – stangdon Nov 10 '15 at 19:26
  • Are there any more words, slangs or phrasal verbs that could be used here? – Ardis Ell Nov 11 '15 at 9:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.