What to call lips which are fleshy (full) and stick out a little bit? I am not sure if 'stick out' is appropriate or not. I mean, the lips making someone with them look sulky (but actually he or she is not).

I searched the Internet and it says that such lips are called 'fish lips' or 'prominent lips'.

  • POUT: push one's lips or one's bottom lip forward as an expression of petulant annoyance or in order to make oneself look sexually attractive.
    – Joe Dark
    Nov 19, 2015 at 9:46
  • 'pout' is deliberately done act. It is not natural. So, calling a girl with 'pouted' lips may mean that she does it whereas the OP seems to ask for a natural or better say physiological structure of a girl having that type of lips. @JoeDark
    – Maulik V
    Nov 19, 2015 at 10:25
  • @MaulikV There is such a thing as a natural pout but having no experience with the opposite sex, you can be forgiven for not knowing.
    – Joe Dark
    Nov 19, 2015 at 10:34
  • But then you need to add natural to that! @JoeDark. And you are right...have never seen a girl with 'naturally pouted' lips. In almost all cases, she does that gesture!
    – Maulik V
    Nov 19, 2015 at 10:39
  • 1
    @MaulikV - At least in AmE, it's usually said as pouty lips, not pouted lips, and, in some societies, it's all the rage (that's three different links for the curious, and there's even an entry in the Urban Dictionary). Disclaimer: I'm posting these links for the betterment of English understanding, not as modeling advice. I personally find this look quite silly.
    – J.R.
    Nov 20, 2015 at 9:50

5 Answers 5


Fish-lips is derogatory.

(Slightly) protruding lips is objective.

Pouty lips is descriptive.

See this ngram for contexts.

  • 1
    Pouty lips are quite attractive and very popular in Hollywood. Incidentally, the first four actors and actresses came to my mind when reading the question are also on this list: blog.candylipz.com/20-beautiful-lips-time. Nov 19, 2015 at 11:19
  • 2
    Someone who's had cosmetic surgery to give themselves pouty lips, but gone a bit too far, is said to have a 'trout pout'. But that's not a polite thing to say to someone.
    – ssav
    Nov 19, 2015 at 12:32
  • All of those are pretty good, but I wonder why nobody has just suggested "full lips", which is way more common than anything else.
    – stangdon
    Nov 19, 2015 at 12:55
  • full lips <> the OP's "look...sulky".
    – TimR
    Nov 19, 2015 at 13:01
  • Just my take: I think fish lips is sometimes used mockingly when someone is trying way too hard to look flirtatious in a selfie, though you might be hard pressed to find such usages in an ngram. I think the term has gained traction along with the recent boom in Facebook selfies.
    – J.R.
    Nov 20, 2015 at 9:53

In women's fashion/cosmetology that look is called bee stung lips. Sometimes hyphenated bee-stung.





You can describe them as luscious, or voluptuous, or succulent if you are trying to get that sense of sexiness across. However, if your intention was to simply describe them, then maybe "full" is enough -- but then again lips can be full without being pouty...


Yes, 'fish lips' seems to be the word. But I'm not sure whether it's polite to say that.

If you are talking about lips those are a bit large and seems to be out of their original space, you may call them 'protruded'.

She has protruding lips

However, it's my personal opinion. Being a healthcare provider, I have used 'protruding eyes' to refer to eyes coming a bit out of their frame. The same way, we can use this for other body organs. Say 'protruding ribs/knees' etc. So, 'protruding lips' may work.


For a facial expression, I think what you might want here is Duck Face. The image on the Wikipedia page is not the best, so also check out the Google Image Search.

True, this is basically just a person making pouty lips, but "Duck Face" is the in-word right now brought on by all the selfies of girls making this face while trying to "look hot". At this point some people do it as a joke.

If you're just talking about someone having larger-than-normal lips, "full lips" works, and "voluptuous" is a common adjective for full lips.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .