There is the word "genderless" (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/genderless), however there is no such word as "genderful", so what word should I use instead?


It depends on the exact context, but often just gender would work...

1: If one wished to apply adelphoi specifically to one gender or the other, one had to couple it with a gender noun.

In other contexts (or simply through stylistic preference) you could use gendered...

2: The relationship between a gendered division of work and a gendered division of dominance was a crucial issue.

But probably the most "general-purpose" form is gender-based...

3: Similarly, a gender-based analysis that considers sexual orientation would be essential to understanding the often troubled political and social relationships between lesbians and gay men.

A few people have used genderised, but I wouldn't recommend that one at the moment. Though I can imagine it becoming more useful in future, if and when biotechnology advances to the point where we routinely force a "non-sex-differentiated cell" to definitely become one sex or the other.

  • Good answer! Genderised is interesting. I haven't heard it before, and I don't much like the sound of it--too much like tenderised, I think. – snailplane Jun 18 '13 at 9:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.