Is there another word instead of "dilute" for this context:

XXX production was carried out by diluting XOXOXO fertilizer.

  • 1
    Need more context. If said "production" was simply "adding water" to fertilizer, then diluting is the proper word. – lurker Dec 2 '15 at 2:38
  • @lurker: the liquid amount of XOXOXO fertilizer can be increased by diluting it.? – embio Dec 2 '15 at 3:23
  • Water is substance and substance has volume, so yes, adding volume to fertilizer makes MORE fertilizer. – lurker Dec 2 '15 at 3:27
  • @lurker Sprinkle salt in a glass. Pour in water. You have not created any more salt. – Euan M Dec 2 '15 at 4:27
  • 1
    "thinning" might work. – CRGreen Dec 2 '15 at 4:30

XXX production was carried out by reducing the concentration of XOXOXO fertilizer.


XXX production was carried out by reducing the strength of XOXOXO fertilizer.


You can use the verb "thin" or "thin down" instead of "dilute."

"Thin" as a transitive verb can be used in the sense of making something thinner or less thick by adding water or another liquid to it.


When you're using a term to express reduction in strength by adding water (for favorable conditions), 'diluting' is your best bet. Furthermore, you could add 'adulterating' if the context is for an unfavorable event.

  • Dilute the milk - Add water to the milk intentionally.

  • I was given adulterated milk - Producer has added water to pure , with intentions to make a profit.


"watering down" would work, although only appropriate if a liquid is used, and ideally water. "cutting" is used in the context of things like recreational drugs mixed with cheaper substances to increase the amount available for sale (with less potency, of course). Usually explicit, eg "the heroin we found was cut with icing sugar..."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.