I'd like to know what's the difference between these sentences:
- By the time we had had lunch it was 2.30
- By the time we had lunch it was 2.30
- I had hoped you would invite me.
- I did hope you would invite me.
- I was hoping you would invite me.
- I hoped you would invite me.
Edit: Some more specific questions:
a) The third sentence means that I had hoped until a moment in the past. But does it mean that he invited me, he didn't invite me or maybe it can't be infered from this sentence?
b) What's the difference between the 5th and the 6th sentence?
c) Does the second sentence mean that t was 2:30 when we were having lunch?