In Italian, disperso (whose plural is dispersi) is a noun used for every person that is not yet confirmed as alive, or dead. The closer English word I can think is missing which is an adjective, and which I always heard as in missing in action.

Is there a noun that can be used for all the people missing after an accident, or a natural event?

  • 2
    I've heard "Schrödinger's People", but, of course, one can use it in a humorous context only, not when it's about real people and real disasters. – bytebuster Jan 31 '13 at 11:26

Missing is probably the closest, or unaccounted for. Sometimes, one might say assumed dead, depending on context. Three days after an earthquake, for instance, when the chances of successful rescue are slim, then assumed dead, or presumed dead will often be used to describe those still unaccounted for.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 2
    Also, as you say, unaccounted for works too. – Mark Beadles Jan 31 '13 at 0:17
  • @MarkBeadles: Quite :) – Flimzy Jan 31 '13 at 0:25
  • In the first case, would you say "The missings are not anymore missing?" – kiamlaluno Feb 3 '13 at 9:28
  • @kiamlaluno: I suspect you would never hear that in anything resembling formal writing (i.e. a news report). If you said that among friends, you would likely be understood. – Flimzy Feb 4 '13 at 16:21
  • The Missing....that's gotta be a movie title. – temporary_user_name Feb 6 '13 at 17:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.