The employer did not transfer all my wage this month because he miscounted. Which is correct?

$150 lacks in my wage.


I am missing $150 of my wage.

  • 3
    First of all, the dollar sign goes before the dollar value in English. – Nihilist_Frost Dec 15 '15 at 18:11
  • 2
    $150 is lacking from my wage. – user20792 Dec 15 '15 at 19:37
  • 4
    A hundred and fifty bucks is missing out of my paycheck and I'd better have it on Monday, you hear me you greedy old bastard? – Christopher Oicles Dec 15 '15 at 22:06
  • In some countries, if you say 150 lacks people will think you're asking for 15 million dollars (one "lakh", which sounds like "lack", is ten thousand) – slebetman Dec 16 '15 at 2:42

The first one certainly isn't correct. If A lacks B, then A is missing B, not the other way around. The way your first option is phrased right now, the $150 lacks in your wage...which doesn't make much sense.

Even if we were to fix the ordering issue and make it, "My wage lacks $150," that sounds unnatural in English. It is technically correct, but doesn't sound great.

Your second option is much better:

I am missing $150 of my wages.

Note that the dollar sign goes BEFORE the numerical value. Even though we say "150 dollars," we write "$150."

Though for politeness' sake, I would go with a slightly wordier phrasing:

I think I may be missing $150 of my wages. I was supposed to get paid $___ this month, but only received $____ in my bank account.


I would turn this around completely and say something like:

My wages are $150 short.

Or indirectly asking for an explanation:

My wages seem to be $150 short.

  • Or you could say "My wages are short by $150.". – Joe Dec 16 '15 at 2:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.