I feel that the word close is used with something which has lid or doors.

Can I say close the TV?
Can I say close the videos?

If not, then what is the proper way to talk about them?

  • 2
    Do you mean "turn off the TV "? close the video is common in working with computers
    – Cardinal
    Dec 20, 2015 at 12:00

1 Answer 1


When it comes to machines or devices (TV, radio, lights, etc), you use turn off as Cardinal told you.

Now close is not necessarily used with lid or doors, you can also use it along with prepositions to create a new meaning. Namely, close in (surround or envelop), close on (get near to something or someone), close up (join together) and so on.

  • As @Cardinal also pointed out, "Close" is used to stop applications on a computer because you "close" the window in which the application is running.
    – MaxW
    Dec 20, 2015 at 15:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .