As you know, Americans call a high class restaurant, bar, hotel or other places a "posh restaurant..." How do the Americans call a low class one?

  • 5
    I don't think I have ever heard the word "posh" used by an American. Dec 28, 2015 at 16:59
  • @StoneyB: Between driving around in monster trucks and spitting on the floor, who's got the time to learn dorky words, dude. That said, I once knew a guy from St. Louis who didn't know what OTSL stood for.
    – Ricky
    Dec 28, 2015 at 19:12
  • @Ricky Not me, man: I was the BO manager for OTSL's very first season; I still remember the Albert Herring as the best-acted piece I've ever seen from an opera company. Dec 28, 2015 at 20:10
  • @StoneyB: I loathe Britten, but apart from that, kudos to you, man.
    – Ricky
    Dec 28, 2015 at 20:18
  • Yep, "dive" is a good one in American English. Source: Born and raised American.
    – user28196
    Dec 29, 2015 at 1:45

2 Answers 2


Posh is an ironic word. Use it with great care if you don't wish to be misunderstood.

That said, the opposite of a high-class restaurant would be

a dive
a grease pit
a burger joint
a greasy spoon:

depending on what, exactly, you wish to convey.

The antonyms of posh can be found in the thesaurus. Oh, and any establishment can be safely called a dump.

  • 1
    I knew the word "dive" but I was not sure that if Americans use it or not. Thank you very much Ricky. It was helpful
    – A-friend
    Dec 28, 2015 at 15:33
  • @A-friend: Any time, chief.
    – Ricky
    Dec 28, 2015 at 15:34
  • I think I'm more familiar with the term "dive bar," but clearly I understood what was meant. Excellent answer. I've also been enlightened.
    – phyrfox
    Dec 29, 2015 at 0:15

To add to Ricky's comment:

a hole-in-the-wall

[US] a ​small, often ​unpleasant, ​shop, ​house, or ​restaurant:

It's just a ​hole in the ​wall but the ​food is good.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .