In Chinese Internet forums, people reply a post continuously to make the replies grow longer is called “盖楼“(make building)。

I wonder is there a word for this action in English?

  • Conceptually, Anglophones probably don't normally think in terms of "growing" a comment thread - just as if we click a "Like" button in Facebook, or an "Upvote" button on ELL we normally wouldn't try to describe what we just did as "increasing the total positive tally for this item" (we just say we "liked" or "upvoted" it). For a comment thread, we just add [a comment] to the thread. It would be unusual to specifically reference "lengthening" or "elongating" the thread. Jan 20, 2016 at 14:20
  • 2
    Note, however, the noun which @FumbleFingers uses in his comment. Thread is internet usage for a chain of posts on a single topic, often including responses to previous posts. Systems which are more sophisticated than SE's permit sub-threads to branch off from a main thread. Jan 20, 2016 at 14:37
  • @Jacob By analogy, when 盖楼 happens in emails what do you call it? When the email gets longer and longer? Doesn't 盖楼 have the meaning building floor by floor? It is usually referred to as an email trail
    – Peter
    Jan 20, 2016 at 15:55
  • 3
    When a user is 盖楼ing, is he creating bogus replies to make it look as though more people are interested in the thread than really are? Or is he quoting an earlier comment, which quotes another comment, and so on, so that there are many nested quote boxes?
    – user8399
    Jan 21, 2016 at 0:39
  • 1
    @user8399 You insight are totally right. Most of time, 盖楼 means adding dull replies, especially post it as a nested quote boxes as your judgement. When you consider one of a replies in the context (with other replies), it will be an interesting reply. That is the sense of 盖楼.
    – sfy
    Jan 21, 2016 at 8:51

1 Answer 1


I don't think there's a word that matches exactly, but there are a few that are similar. Since these are neologisms, they are still considered slang and are probably not found in any respected dictionary.

To bump a thread is to reply to it for the purpose of raising it to the top of a list of threads sorted by recent activity, or to prevent its deletion for inactivity. Lengthening it is not the motive.

Page widening was the practice of posting things that would cause a forum page to be formatted incorrectly, forcing people to scroll horizontally to read any of the comments. This is much less common now that most sites are designed to prevent it. Examples included posting long "words" that could not be automatically wrapped, such as QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ. (Notice how Stack Exchange deals with this: it wraps at an arbitrary length, but the programmer didn't bother taking a smaller piece to fill the previous line. Or maybe that's my browser doing that. In any case, it does not change the page layout.)

Threadjacking, a portmanteau of "thread" and "hijacking", is the practice of changing the subject of a thread. A related but obscene term is shitposting. Some forms of threadjacking are intended to shift the conversation to something controversial, causing others to post many comments. Other forms are more transparent. Often you will see someone post an image like this one, followed by many more like it:

enter image description here

  • Thanks, I can recognized those words in Chinese. bump = 顶(sutain
    – sfy
    Jan 22, 2016 at 10:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .