I am translating a typical French diploma into English. The translation will be certified, so I am trying to use the proper terms.

The diploma reads Le diplôme [...] confère le grade de Master., which means that by receiving the diploma, I have obtained the Master level/rank. What's the correct way to formulate it?

enter image description here

I would point out that in French we draw a distinction between the diploma (diplôme), the title (titre), and the level/rank (grade):

  • diploma (diplôme) is the piece of paper
  • title (titre) is the name one can use, e.g., Dr.
  • level/rank (grade) is the academic level/rank a student have reached.
  • In the US and UK education systems, graduating from college is Bachelor (BS - Bachelor of Science, BA - Bachelor of Arts) degree, then Masters degree (MS - Master of Science, MA - Master of Arts), then Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD). Is Masters in France and Masters in US/UK equivalent or is your Masters more similar to PhD?
    – Peter
    Feb 22 '16 at 0:50
  • @Peter Masters in France as similar to Masters in US and UK. Maybe degree would fit in hindsight. Feb 22 '16 at 0:51

A student will attain a Masters degree.

He attained a Masters degree at Harvard.
She achieved an MBA degree at HBS.
He obtained a Masters at Harvard.
He received the degree of Master of Arts in Impressionist Painting.

A school will confer a Masters degree.

There is no title specific honorary given for receiving a Masters as there is with a PhD (Dr.)

  • I've seen people addressed/described as a "Master of Arts" but this is definitely infrequent and not a recognised title or honorific in general use, this answer describes all the usual ways of expressing it: "has a masters degree" in most cases, or if talking about the course that confers the degree, usually the singular "while undertaking a Master of Public Policy degree" — but this is just as often expressed as "while studying a Masters in Public Policy". I intuitively feel that the latter is less formal.
    – Toadfish
    Feb 22 '16 at 2:03
  • @Toadfish Yes, technically someone who has earned a BA is a Bachelor of Arts, someone who had earned a JD is a Juris Doctor, someone who has earned a PhD is a Doctor of Philosophy, and so on. These titles are virtually never used, with the exception of doctorates conferring the title of "Doctor" (depending on the degree and who you ask). Roughly: MDs always go by "Doctor", JDs never go by "Doctor" (they go by "Esquire" if they have passed the Bar Exam), and PhDs sometimes go by "Doctor".
    – Era
    Feb 22 '16 at 2:19
  • In hospital situations, PhD's are asked not to use "Doctor" for obvious reasons.
    – Peter
    Feb 22 '16 at 2:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .