I have to translate a national agency from my native language into English.

I have 3 options, as follows:

National Geological Agency

Geological Agency of country X

National Geology Agency

My question: Can "geology" be used as adjective, "geological"?

  • There's also "National Agency of Geology"...
    – Catija
    Feb 22, 2016 at 1:12

1 Answer 1


The title of such an agency is usually expressed as

the National Geological Agency

some governmental geological agencies are referred to as

the National Geological Survey
US Geological Survey
French Geological Survey
British Geological Survey
China Geological Survey

If the agency's mission is to share learned research is is usually referred to as a Society

the National Geological Society (of)

  • 2
    If it's governmental, I wouldn't use "society" instead of "agency"... they serve different purposes.
    – Catija
    Feb 22, 2016 at 1:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .