In Dutch, we have the word kraamvisite or kraambezoek, which is a visit to a newborn baby and his/her parent(s). This word is lacking in my dictionary. Google Translate makes it maternity visit, but judging from the word that's quite related to the mother.

English is quite rich in words, is there a word for such a visit, or must one be verbose and I will visit the newborn infant and his/her parents?

  • 1
    One might refer to a natal visit Commented Jul 23, 2013 at 19:18
  • 1
    @jwpat7: I can't find a single instance of natal visit in Google Books that isn't actually pre-natal or post-natal. And every one of those where the context is clear appears to be referring to the expectant/new parent(s) either attending maternity facilities or being visited by a medical professional. Commented Jul 23, 2013 at 20:11

2 Answers 2


There may be a specific word for it, but I have never come across it. You are correct in that a maternity visit is specific to the mother, but it's more common to say something like "to see the baby". I don't think I've ever heard someone say they were going to visit the newborn and his parents; it's always "to see".


Although there might be a specific word, it is not common. Consider for example the recent reports on the birth of Kate and Prince William's new son, as reported by the BBC, which shows common idom of saying to visit the parents and child:

Prince Charles has visited the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and his new grandson in hospital in west London.

( cite: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23421388 )

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .