I'm looking for a word for the things at a place where children play on Swings, Slides, Seesaws, Climbing Frames, etc. Is there a common word in English for these in general? Like in Indian languages, we say, "jhoolay झूले (plural)". After googling for a while, I could only get the phrase "outdoor toys". I don't think it's that suitable word which I'm looking for or it may be. The word referring to those things in general should be able to be used in such sentences: Our children are playing on/at/with the _____ (plural noun). There are ____ (plural noun) in that park.

  • 2
    Also, you play "at" a playground. You play "on" the equipment. "What did you do at the playground?" "I went on the slide, and I went on the swings, and I went on the seesaw!" By the way, I love how the OP called something "a climbing frame." I think we might call that a jungle gym. Commented Jul 3, 2017 at 16:34

6 Answers 6


I would refer to that as "playground equipment".

In regards to your example sentences:

For the first, I would just specify what specific piece of equipment ("Our children are playing on the slide") or just speak in a generalization ("Our children are playing at the playground").

For the second, I would say "There is a lot of playground equipment at that park".


In American English, there is a swing set, which is the frame with several swings and can include an attached seesaw and/or slide. Families might have one in their back yard. And a park might have a larger version.

But a park might also have several stand alone seesaws, slides, etc., which I would just call playground equipment.

But both adults and kids will talk about playgrounds (the 'ground' at a park on which kids play), and it is assumed that a playground includes such equipment.

Do you wanna go play on the playground?

No, that playground is stupid. All the swings are broken.

Okay, then let's go to the other park—it has a great playground!

(Meaning: the 'play equipment' and 'play structures' at this second park are outstanding and fun.)

Other words besides playground equipment include park and play structures and park and play systems. These are mostly technical words. Your average American will just say playground. They might mention specific things, such as the swings, slides, seesaws, humongous outdoor play house, which certain parks and/or playgrounds may have.

  • +1 - If I told my daughter we were going to a playground and upon arrival she found there was no playground equipment she would be very disappointed, and declare "this is just a boring field. (Or playfield.)
    – Adam
    Commented Jun 30, 2016 at 16:00

I take it that you want a hypernym of "the things at a place where children play on Swings, Slides, Seesaws, Climbing Frames, etc." As mentioned in other answers, you can use playground equipment. I'd like to add another alternative: recreational equipment.

Wikipedia uses this term on the page Playground:

Modern playgrounds often have recreational equipment such as the seesaw, merry-go-round, swingset, slide, jungle gym, chin-up bars, sandbox, spring rider, trapeze rings, playhouses, and mazes, many of which help children develop physical coordination, strength, and flexibility, as well as providing recreation and enjoyment. Common in modern playgrounds are play structures that link many different pieces of equipment.

Note that equipment, like furniture, is normally used as an uncountable noun.

  • Play structures - that's what I remember them being called when I was a school kid.
    – Plastech
    Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 7:05

English has no exact translation or hypernym for جھولے , so I suggest we use "rides" Like the Entry in Oxford Dictionary (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ride) (2A roller coaster, roundabout, or other amusement ridden at a fair or amusement park.) (Example from the same source: ‘When I was a kid I loved the rides at amusements parks - the Zipper, the Swings, the Polar Express and even those cheesy haunted houses.’)

  • I feel this is a good answer for amusement parks, but the same words don't apply to a children's playground at a standard family/recreational park.
    – user68033
    Commented May 20, 2018 at 8:12

You can say playground apparatus, recreational devices, but I think the word 'Rides' is more appropriate.

This amusement park/playground has all kinds of rides.

OALD entry says:

rides: a large machine at a funfair or amusement park that you ride on for fun or excitement; an occasion when you go on one of these.

  • 1
    झूले actually means 'swing' but here, the OP wants to describe them all in general. So, here, it means 'rides'. +1 Added definition.
    – Maulik V
    Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 4:46
  • 4
    I would normally associate rides with an amusement park's mechanical swings, like these, not with swinging on playground equipment, like this.
    – J.R.
    Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 9:57
  • Maulik, I think we are wrong; I agree with @J.R.
    – Khan
    Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 12:28
  • 2
    @Khan - "wrong" is such a strong word; I'd feel more comfortable saying "unusual" or "less common." If you look hard enough, you can find a few sources where "rides on the playground" is used in this context. A term like that could be regional, too. I found a sentence published in The New Indian Express which began: When he was told to perch on one of the rides on the playground...
    – J.R.
    Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 15:39

The correct word is RIDES

It combines all types of playground equipment.

  • 1
    Amusement parks aren't the same thing as playgrounds. Amusement parks have "rides", playgrounds have "equipment". Also this duplicates Khan's answer, but with less detail.
    – ColleenV
    Commented Oct 19, 2017 at 12:11
  • In future, I'd recommend also adding references (such as a link to a dictionary definition) when stating the meaning of a word or how appropriate it is.
    – user68033
    Commented May 20, 2018 at 8:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .