What do you call the sediment of (unstrained brewed) tea (or any other herbs) settles at the bottom of the cup or the teapot?

I have found the word "dregs" but I don't know if it can be used for tea or not.


I know that "coffee grounds"is another term for those sediments in a cup of coffee.

enter image description here enter image description here


Dregs simply means

the ​small ​solid ​pieces that ​sink to the ​bottom of some ​liquids, such as ​wine or ​coffee, that are not usually ​drunk:

You could certainly refer to the remnants of tea using the same term, and there are several instances online of this (7,750 results on google).

However, a lot of Brits would instead refer to them as tea leaves, using the same term for the remains as for the substance used to make the beverage in question.

  • Thanks a lot, @John Clifford. If the tea is strained well and there is no residue (?) inside it, can I call what remains at the bottom of the cup again "dregs" ? Like in " I don't like to drink my tea until the last drop, there is always some dregs left in my cup. – Soudabeh Mar 13 '16 at 10:23
  • I would consider that fine, and unambiguous in its meaning. – John Clifford Mar 13 '16 at 10:41
  • I see.@John Clifford. And my last questions: (1) Does "dreg" have a negative connotation too? (II mean does "tea dregs" mean "leftover tea" too?) (2): Is it better to use "tea leaves" than "tea dregs"? :) – Soudabeh Mar 13 '16 at 10:45
  • 1
    If you're concerned about connotations, it may perhaps be better to use "tea leaves" as dregs does tend to sound rather unpleasant by definition: it's "the bits you didn't want to drink". – John Clifford Mar 13 '16 at 10:46

Dregs describes both liquids and solids left at the bottom of a cup or glass- basically anything you don't want to drink. It can also be used about wine or coffee.

It does have a distinctly negative connotation: it can be used in expression like "the dregs of society", referring to people of very low status- criminals, homeless people, et cetera. You can make allusions to this by referring to someone as "the dregs": this is deeply offensive.

As long as it's clear that you are talking about the contents of a cup, it's a perfectly acceptable term to use.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.