I can't memorize and repeat quickly the month names in English even though I've been studying English. I'd like to know if there are some ways or maybe a strategy to learn the month names in English.
I memorized the month names like this:
March, April, May,
June, July, August,
September, October, November, December".
Here are some mnemonics that can help:
- January is named for the two-faced Roman god Janus, who looked both backwards and forwards.
- February might be named for a time of burnt offerings at the end of the old Roman calendar.
- Then there are six short names in a row:
- March was the first month of the old Roman calendar; March 25 used to be the first day of the English calendar. It is named for the Roman god Mars.
- April, May, and June are girls' names. "April showers bring May flowers."
- July is named for the first Roman emperor, Julius Cæsar.
- August is named for the second Roman Emperor, Augustus.
- September, October, November, and December count the months (starting with March!):
"sept-" = 7, "oct-" = 8, "nov-" = 9, "dec-" = 10.