Which one is the correct phrase for an engineer whose study field is electronics?

I think, "electronics engineer" is more correct, but sometimes I hear "electronical engineer". The phrase "electronical engineer" seems to me that there is an engineer made of some electronic components.

  • A quick Google search or dictionary check would answer this.
    – user3169
    Mar 29, 2016 at 16:48

2 Answers 2


I have never seen "Electronical Engineer". But I have seen "Electrical Engineer".

Electrical Engineering is a general term used for all study of electricity, including high-voltage power distribution.

Electronics Engineering is the study of integrated circuits, microprocessors, etc.

Thus, Electronics Engineering is a subset of Electrical Engineering.

Wikipedia has articles about both that might help clear it up:

Electronic Engineering

Electrical Engineering

  • 1
    Although I know the word "Electronics" exists and is a perfect fit for this case, I feel more comfortable with the Wikipedia naming, "Electronic Engineering". Also, we can see it is way more used in literature if we throw it in Ngram (books.google.com/ngrams/…). So my choice would be Electronic Engineering. Mar 29, 2016 at 15:41

According to the dictionary I usually consult (Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged), "electronical" is not a recognized English word. "Electronics engineer" is in common use. There is also "electrical engineer", although that's not exactly the same thing.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .