Which one is the correct phrase for an engineer whose study field is electronics?

I think, "electronics engineer" is more correct, but sometimes I hear "electronical engineer". The phrase "electronical engineer" seems to me that there is an engineer made of some electronic components.

closed as off-topic by user3169, Nathan Tuggy, ColleenV, Peter, Varun Nair Mar 30 '16 at 5:09

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • A quick Google search or dictionary check would answer this. – user3169 Mar 29 '16 at 16:48

I have never seen "Electronical Engineer". But I have seen "Electrical Engineer".

Electrical Engineering is a general term used for all study of electricity, including high-voltage power distribution.

Electronics Engineering is the study of integrated circuits, microprocessors, etc.

Thus, Electronics Engineering is a subset of Electrical Engineering.

Wikipedia has articles about both that might help clear it up:

Electronic Engineering

Electrical Engineering

  • 1
    Although I know the word "Electronics" exists and is a perfect fit for this case, I feel more comfortable with the Wikipedia naming, "Electronic Engineering". Also, we can see it is way more used in literature if we throw it in Ngram (books.google.com/ngrams/…). So my choice would be Electronic Engineering. – Joao Arruda Mar 29 '16 at 15:41

According to the dictionary I usually consult (Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged), "electronical" is not a recognized English word. "Electronics engineer" is in common use. There is also "electrical engineer", although that's not exactly the same thing.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.