"Brexit, Grexit, with the possibility of Spexit"

What are they called in linguistic?

Is the form of those blend words the same as pangry and hangry?

closed as off-topic by ColleenV, Nathan Tuggy, M.A.R., Varun Nair, Catija Apr 4 '16 at 19:26

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question should include more details than have been provided here. Please edit to add the research you have done in your efforts to answer the question, or provide more context. See: Details, Please." – ColleenV, Nathan Tuggy, M.A.R., Varun Nair, Catija
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    From oxforddictionaries online 2012 (as Brixit): blend of British (or Britain) and exit, probably on the pattern of Grexit (coined earlier in the same year). New blend words like this are a subclass of neologisms, or coinages in general. – FumbleFingers Apr 1 '16 at 15:35
  • Nouns? Rhymes? Neologisms? Words? What quality of these words are you asking about? – Adam Apr 1 '16 at 15:35
  • 3
    How do you feel about portmanteau? – user8399 Apr 1 '16 at 15:38
  • 1
    I suppose there's no point in writing an answer now that both blend and portmanteau have been suggested in the comments section, so I'll just point out that linguists generally use the term blend for this kind of coinage rather than portmanteau. They might also be called nonce words. – snailcar Apr 2 '16 at 0:20
  • 1
    @snailboat: There is indeed a point in writing an answer: namely, to get this question off the Unanswered list. Will you do the honors? – ruakh Apr 3 '16 at 23:10

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.