I'm co-hosting open mic/stage events in my town in a non-English speaking country. Shortly, it means that in a certain bar there are both the stage and musical instruments provided by us for anybody to use. It is in our interests to reach international guests to perform onstage, too, via Facebook invitations and status updates and such, in English, that is. I'm wondering what other words there'd be at my disposal in regard to referring to individuals and groups of people apt to perform on an open mic/stage night. So far I've been sticking to "performers". However, I feel that it's sort of too formal. Any suggestions? Should anybody have any experience in such events, I'd be grateful to receive propositions.

  • How about entertainers or troupers?
    – Yuri
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 22:40
  • People works. Also 'amateur talent' or 'local talent'. Also, you could mention specific types of performers, such as singers, bands, musicians, comedians, comics, poetry readers, magicians, pets who do tricks, people who do imitations,.... Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 3:29

2 Answers 2


I think that performers is probably the best choice of word. Everything else I can think of would restrict the type of people you're looking for.

For example, you could say musicians, but then singers might feel excluded, and vice-versa.

You could say bands, but that might suggest you don't want solo performers.

Or you could say artists, but when used to describe musical acts, that tends to mean it's an established band or performer that people would know.

An entertainer (in British English at least) would normally be some sort of all-rounder: a single person who tells jokes, sings songs, dances, etc.

  • Thank you very much for your reply, Alan. I was a little vague in my original post, sorry, but all-rounders it is that we're looking for, in a sense that we welcome poets, jugglers and pantomime-artists, bands, singer-songwriters and stand-up comedians equally. You name it, basically. I'm happy that I've got at least one alternative word to use for now. Thanks again.
    – Vilekko
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 23:26
  • In that case, "artists" would be the word I would use.
    – Colin Fine
    Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 0:12
  • 2
    You can say stage artists or stage actors.
    – Khan
    Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 2:52

How about "open talent"?
Talent is used commonly in the industry to describe a person. E.g: "he is one of the great talents in the comedy world".
That way, you can describe the show and the performers equally.

  • The word request was for those performing in the show, not the show itself.
    – zondo
    Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 1:31
  • Very well, "open talent" then.
    – user32362
    Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 1:37
  • 2
    It wasn't my request. As your answer now stands, it doesn't answer the question. If "open talent" is your answer, I would suggest the edit link. You could also add a dictionary definition to make your answer especially good.
    – zondo
    Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 1:39
  • ...why does it not answer the question?
    – user32362
    Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 1:48
  • Because the question was about the people in the show, not the show itself. See my original comment
    – zondo
    Commented Apr 3, 2016 at 1:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .