We all know shaking hands or a handshake. There, we 'shake hands'.

There's one more gesture I do. I gently punch other's fist.

Something like this -

courtesy -dreamstime.com

What do we call this gesture as a noun?

They close the deal with a handshake

The close the deal with (a?) ____________

Also, as a verb?

Whenever we meet, we shake hands

Whenever we meet, we ___________

If there's no single word, a couple would do.

  • 2
    it's called bro fist – user25493 Apr 14 '16 at 6:33
  • 10
    I know it's hypothetical, but I don't think anyone would close a deal with a fist bump. That's just not formal. Whenever we meet, we do a fist bump. – Usernew Apr 14 '16 at 6:41
  • 10
    @Usernew Maybe if it was a drug deal... – Brice M. Dempsey Apr 14 '16 at 8:25
  • 2
    @BriceM.Dempsey That paints a hilarious mental picture. "You got the goods?" "Yeah man, pound it." – James Apr 14 '16 at 17:36
  • @Usernew there could be many such deals. You do me a favor...I do you the same... deal? First Bump! – Maulik V Apr 15 '16 at 5:15

It's called a fist bump.

It's also known as pound or dap.

enter image description here


I agree with the dominant answer, but to be a tad more pedantic:

We call this gesture, as a noun:

They close the deal with a handshake.

The close the deal with a fist-bump.

As a verb:

Whenever we meet, we shake hands.

Whenever we meet, we bump fists.


ps: A fist-bump is demonstrably cleaner than a handshake, epidemiologically.

  • 5
    I would find it perfectly acceptable to use "fist-bump" as a verb. Whenever we meet, we fist bump. – James Webster Apr 15 '16 at 12:36
  • 4
    And just to be pedantic to a pedant, QED - Quod erat demonstrandum is used after a formal proof, not after an example. – James Webster Apr 15 '16 at 12:38
  • @JamesWebster Of course, but the topic was a bit silly, so I used QED in a silly manner. :) – Alpinwolf Apr 18 '16 at 10:19

Aside from the more formal "fist bump", a more slang term is brofist. this term is quite popular online, to the point that major Youtube celebrity Pewdiepie made it part of the title of his videogame.

  • +1 for mentioning Pewdiepie. It is also quite often heard and seen in TV serials. – Usernew Apr 14 '16 at 13:22
  • 2
    I think the term is only popular because of Pewdiepie, because it only got big within the last year. Overall, "fist bump" is still the clear leader. (Actually, "dap" might be even more common, but it's hard to search for, since it has a lot of other meanings too.) – stangdon Apr 14 '16 at 15:19
  • 9
    For what it's worth, I'm a native speaker in my 20's and I have never heard "brofist" or "dap". There might be specific subcultures or regions where these terms are more prevalent or less prevalent. – Era Apr 14 '16 at 17:26
  • 1
    "Brofist" may be a more online term; it's definitely very young. "Dap" is better known in African American communities, dates back to the 1970s, and encompasses options more complex than the fist bump. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giving_dap – Russell Borogove Apr 14 '16 at 21:10
  • Fist-bump was popular long before Pewdiepie, generally as a form of congratulations. A handshake is more appropriate for closing a deal. – user32919 Apr 15 '16 at 15:37

If your business is with a male fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, then it is customary to seal the deal with a "brohoof" - again, this is just for brony business.

Urban Dictionary:

brohoof: Friendly gesture between one brony and another in the form of connecting knuckles together (or hoofs).

  • +1 thanks for sharing this. Quite new to me. I added the reference to improve it. – Maulik V Apr 15 '16 at 7:05
  • This is true, but I'm not sure this is so much a different term as it is just an adapted version of "brofist". Both the fandom and characters in the TV show itself often substitute human-centric terms for words more suited to ponies. (E,g, "clap your hands" -> "clop your hooves", "everybody" -> "everypony", etc) "Hoof bump" would also be acceptable here, for example. – Ajedi32 Apr 15 '16 at 13:56

They closed the deal with a handshake. The closed the deal with (a) fistbump.

Whenever we meet, we shake hands. Whenever we meet, we fistbump.

This is a really informal gesture, so I don't think it could be used to close deals. Since it's informal, I don't think there's any proper conjugation for it either, but it would probably follow the conjugation of the word bump.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.