If I see inkorrect instead of incorrect in a paragraph, how should I report it using the word typo?

Should I say

  • inkorrect is a typo of incorrect.
  • inkorrect is a typo for incorrect.
  • or something else?

I have checked in Oxford, Cambridge, Macmillan, and Websters, but found no usage with preposition.

  • Unless there are many such instances, or for usage in formal writing, I would write out "typographical error".
    – user3169
    Commented May 8, 2016 at 16:46

2 Answers 2


You would use for, meaning "in place of":

  1. in place of; instead of" ⇒ to use blankets for coats"


inkorrect is a typo for incorrect.


Both "of" and "for" can be used.. As user3169 posted, "for" can be used to denote the typo is "in place of" the correct spelling. However, "of" is equally valid:

  1. from:

    a. derived or coming from


  1. belonging to

"Of" establishes that "inkorrect" is derived from and associated with "incorrect". "For" suggests that the typo is actively being used to replacing the correct spelling.

Preference between them may be regional. I'm on the East coast of the U.S., while user3169 is on the West coast.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .