What is this called in English I describe the situation as follows:

When a boy goes behind a girl, front-to-back position, especially when the girl is distracted because it makes it funnier to him, hits (kind of smack) her butt using his crotch including the part where his genitals are and then runs away.

Occassionally boys who are close friends do that, too, just to tease eachother. Sometimes that strong that the other one bends backwards somehow or is pushed forward.

Actually it's a kind of sexual harrassment thing if the girl/boy is not OK with that.

The word that I'm looking for doesn't need to include running away, or being funny although if it does that'd be even better. I was thinking of bang someone but I think that's too strong. They're not having sex or anything! Maybe this happens in a disco, too, and the girl either slaps the boy or becomes a date.

  • I meant 'crotch' thanks for pointimg it out. Actually it's not Japanese! It's Persian, my persian classmate asked me that and I didn't know it, so I posted it here. I'm gonna edit that BTW.
    – Yuri
    May 8, 2016 at 19:38
  • 3
    Well, Yuri is used by people from different countries, Korea, Russia, etc. Anyway, that's fine no worries.
    – Yuri
    May 8, 2016 at 19:52
  • Based on your description alone I think this will be difficult to answer. We don't know age, intent, reaction of the parties, location and maybe other things to understand the scene properly.
    – user3169
    May 8, 2016 at 21:58
  • The particular meaning you're looking for is sufficiently subtle that the question might get better answers on english.SE than here on ell.SE. I think it's a difficult question even for native speakers. May 9, 2016 at 2:35
  • I'd still go with "sexual harrassment" or "groping". They're not as specific, but I don't know of any English-speaking cultures where that's okay. Just a word of warning, there.
    – AJFaraday
    May 9, 2016 at 8:58

3 Answers 3


I think the word you are looking for is "humping", which is often used to describe simulated sexual activity in the way you describe. It can also be used to describe actual sexual intercourse depending on the context and usage.

It certainly is behaviour that is demeaning to a woman or a person who it is done to. There's an infamous video hoax that apppears to show former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi doing this behind a woman on the street as he enters a building.

The other sense in which humping is used is when a dog decides to "hump" your leg. It may be trying to have intercourse with your leg, but you would probably want to say:

"Stop humping my leg"

And then gently shove him off your leg!

  • 2
    Your answer gave me a clue, and I found the word dry hump. However, it implies a repeated action as a dog does as you said. Can I say, "the boy gave her a sudden dry hump and then ran off" to imply that he did it suddenly and just a push. Does it sound natural to you?... that aside, if you want to simply describe the move, I mean what you see, what would you say? Something like giving somebody a push by your crutch on their butt?
    – Yuri
    May 8, 2016 at 22:10
  • No, because dry hump implies consent between people involved usually, and would be considered by some to be a form of sexual intercourse. Think about people getting very friendly in a night club while dancing.
    – nclarx
    May 8, 2016 at 22:13
  • 1
    Sorry I posted that prematurely (no pun intended). You would probably do better with a more mechanical description such as a "the boy thrusted his pelvis".
    – nclarx
    May 8, 2016 at 22:19
  • 1
    This answer is just wrong. "dry hump" or just "hump" indicate repeated action, not one off as described by the OP.
    – user3169
    May 9, 2016 at 1:59
  • 1
    As a native speaker, I don't think "humping" is a good answer to this question. As others have said, it usually goes with repetitive action, not a single thrust, and there's usually some kind of attachment/grabbing associated with it. I could see it making sense if the perpetrator grabbed their victim's shoulders/abdomen/waist/etc. to do it, but not when there's only a pelvic thrust. May 9, 2016 at 2:34

As both Nik and R have stated in the comments to Nik's answer, I feel the term you are looking for would be a pelvic thrust.

This implies one movement whereby the pelvis is thrust from backwards to forwards in one motion. This can be done in the air (such as the dance move from the Time Warp) or against a person or thing. Doing this more than once would be called pelvic thrusting.

Humping / Dry Humping on the other hand, is often used to express the act of simulated or real sexual movements (not dissimilar to thrusting the pelvis) or to the act of copulation itself. However, there is a heavier implication of there being an object that is being "humped" such as another person or thing.

  • "pelvic thrust" is technically the right term, but no teenager would say that.
    – Ringo
    May 9, 2016 at 4:23
  • @Ringo Nowhere does the question specify language that teenagers would use even though it may be casually implied. Further, any evidence for "no teenager would say that"? I know plenty that do. May 9, 2016 at 4:30
  • well, yes, it was implied.
    – Ringo
    May 9, 2016 at 4:31
  • 1
    i said you had the right term, technically. what does that imply to you?
    – Ringo
    May 9, 2016 at 4:34
  • 1
    I am not really sure about the context of the statement you are try to use however, "the boy thrust his pelvis against her butt", although not commonly used in colloquial conversation, will be understood. May 9, 2016 at 8:19

I think the term you're looking for is "bump 'n grind." http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BUMP%20N%20GRIND

And it's also an R Kelly song.

  • Bump 'n grind seems to be quite similar to dry hump. May 9, 2016 at 4:34
  • I think dry humping is something a man and woman might do on their couch alone. Or something a dog might do to your leg. Too much dry humping can cause "blue balls." It's really the act of sex, without penetration. Bump and grind would be more stylized (like a really over-the-top thrust) and has an exhibitionist aspect to it. Something you do in a public place (dance floor?), whether it's meant to be private or not.
    – Ringo
    May 9, 2016 at 4:51
  • Well, you can either "bump a girl from behind", or "grind on a girl from behind." Grinding is more sexually overt. A bump could be a fun little pelvic thrust, I guess.
    – Ringo
    May 9, 2016 at 5:05
  • I must say I would associate a bump 'n grind as more associated with dancing at a night club (also known as grinding), however neither humping or bumping seems to fit doing a thrusting motion only once as both seem like they are continuous movement. May 9, 2016 at 5:08
  • However the bump and the grind are seen as part of the same act. Grinding would be understood just as you said. However bumping someone is not as clear. Bumping into someone has no sexual connotations at all. Bumping off someone is killing them. Bumping someone from behind to me would sound more like accidently running into them rather than thrusting behind them. May 9, 2016 at 5:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .