There is a sign like "roof" or two "two hands asking something" which used in handwriting and in case that someone forgot to write a word, then he put this sign and above it the missed word or the adding. What is called in English?

I attached an example. The sign here is in red color.

enter image description here

  • 1
    This is an example! you need one more caret!
    – Maulik V
    May 11, 2016 at 8:53
  • Thank you. I thought it, but it was late already... The important thing is that I succeeded to pass the point. May 11, 2016 at 12:10

1 Answer 1


Although what you're showing in your example is understandable, what you are probably looking for is called a


and marks an insertion point for letters or words.

Strictly speaking, in the proofreading / copy editing world, the caret appears below the typed line and points upwards, and the handwritten edited text appears above the typed line


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .