Consider a scenario (that I constructed to convey my intends):

  1. We want to unify some people from different parts of a country, e.g. farmers.
  2. These people have similar interests.

Now, consider my concocted sentences:

We should bring people with same interests under a roof so that ... .

We should bring people with same interests under an umbrella so that ... .

The above sentences have been translated word by word from my native language. I want to know whether English speakers have same phrases including "umbrella" or "roof"? If so, I will be happy to know about it.


I know I can use the verbs like "unify", but I want to use idiomatic phrases. So, other suggestions will also be appreciated.


In the United States English, the colloquial term I have seen most used (from your examples) is the roof example, however I would word it slightly differently:

We should bring people with similar interests under the same roof so that...

The key here is that the phrase we use is "under the same roof" not "under a roof"

This is still idiomatic, but I think it professionally gets your point across clearly.

  • 1
    Or under one roof. – StoneyB on hiatus May 26 '16 at 1:14
  • 2
    Or under the same umbrella. – user3169 May 26 '16 at 1:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.