In Russia, there's a special term for a pipe that is not circular in its section: "a profiled pipe" (профильная труба). There's even a Wikipedia page for it: профильная труба. Such pipes come in a wide variety of sizes and usually have an oval, square or rectangular section ("profile" in Russian), but other kinds of sections are possible.

I wonder what is the common cover-all technical term describing "any kind of non-circular pipe".

enter image description here

Example of usage:

Pervouralsk New Pipe Plant produces a range of non-circular pipes, including pipes of variable cross-section.

(Also asked on Engineering SE)

  • 2
    This question seems to be off topic since it is very specialized is not about learning English.
    – Em.
    Jun 13, 2016 at 3:37
  • 3
    It does seem like it's about a real challenge faced by an English language learner. Yes, it's a fairly specific question, but we want specific questions here on ELL.
    – user230
    Jun 13, 2016 at 3:39
  • 1
    @probablyme - I'm just trying to learn further. Jun 13, 2016 at 3:44
  • 3
    Generally speaking, pipes carry fluids, so I would say it is tubing or some structural component (my idea anyway from the Wiki page).
    – user3169
    Jun 13, 2016 at 5:07
  • 1
    @probablyme I am a native English speaker, and I have learned a lot on this site :) Don't think of ELL as a 'beginner' site. I always imagine what I would do if I had the same question about a different language. How would you find the name of that sort of pipe in Mandarin and how confident would you be that you were using the word that most native Mandarin speakers would use? It's not the fluency of the asker that is important, it's the question and how useful the answers are likely to be to others.
    – ColleenV
    Jun 13, 2016 at 17:35

1 Answer 1


There are several shapes of pipes, and their names describe the profile of the cross-section of the tube or pipe.


![here][1] [1]:https://i.stack.imgur.com/SC11s.jpg

In general, they can be referred to as

non-circular pipes
irregular shaped pipes

Given the advances in plastic extrusion and metal 3D printing, the possibilities are only limited by the practicality of strength.

Some more traditional shapes are


![here][2] [2]:https://i.stack.imgur.com/fXgS3.jpg


![here][3] [3]:https://i.stack.imgur.com/qy9zm.jpg


![here][4] [4]:https://i.stack.imgur.com/6IvIk.jpg


(source: bosscdn.com)

  • This answer made my day.
    – Yashas
    Jun 13, 2016 at 8:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .