In some school and universities in the world there are a small notebook in which the marks of the exams are written by the teachers. What is this notebook called in English?

  • 3
    – Dan Bron
    Jun 16 '16 at 11:57
  • I don't know because I am not native English speaker. But according to my search on Google it seems to be the name. Jun 16 '16 at 11:58
  • 1
    I am a native speaker, but it has been many years since I worried about, or even thought about, grades. I had a hard time even picturing / remembering the record you were about. Hence the question mark.
    – Dan Bron
    Jun 16 '16 at 12:01
  • 4
    "Gradebook" is what my wife calls it -- she teaches Freshman Composition at a university. Jun 16 '16 at 12:30

It's called grade book

According to the Collins dictionary is "a book in which a student's grades are recorded"

The same things on Oxford dictionary: "A book in which marks for a student’s work are recorded"

  • British English: "Markbook". Sometimes, since teachers might use the same book to mark attendance as grades, it is the "register".
    – James K
    Jul 27 '16 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.