What do you call the profession of the person that goes to a medical doctor such as a GP to distribute medicines, instructing the doctor about which medicine to prescribe for what purpose? Thanks.

  • 5
    In the US it's a "pharmaceuticals sales representative"; the industry likes to call them "pharma reps" or "PSRs" for short, but other folks usually call them "drug reps". Jun 19, 2016 at 21:42
  • 1
    Although ti's worth pointing out that the medicines distributed by drug reps are samples. The reps don't deliver purchased stocks. Jun 20, 2016 at 0:45
  • 2
    A friend of mine is a GP - he calls them 'pushers' but I doubt that's what you're after
    – PerryW
    Jun 20, 2016 at 0:45
  • 1
    Hopefully the doctor does not rely only on reps to know what to prescribe.
    – YoungFrog
    Jun 20, 2016 at 9:26
  • When I was attending university I would deliberately browse books in the bookstores from other departments. You won't find any book on medications to prescribe among the books in the medical section of the bookstore (that would likely just be publicity). So yes, most people don't realize it, but doctors rely on their sales reps' recommendations for their prescriptions (which I think is sad). Jun 20, 2016 at 10:39

2 Answers 2


It rather depends on perspective. The potential customer will use different names (often less than complimentary) to those used by the seller

To Customers...

  • Often just 'Reps'
  • Drug reps
  • Pharma reps
  • Or, as a GP friend insists - 'Pushers'

To the reps and the pharma companies

Many of these are generic but the following are all genuine job titles for drug reps from a quick trawl of the major job sites from the US, Britain and Australia

  • Pharmaceutical sales representative
  • Customer Sales & Service Executive
  • Pharmaceutical Territory Manager
  • Scientific Sales Specialist
  • Field Sales - Life Sciences
  • Hospital Sales Specialist
  • Business Development Manager - Pharmaceutical
  • GP & Medical Sales Specialist
  • Rx Regional Account Manager

... And so on

Many, many names for what is, essentially, the same job.

Looking around the job sites, it is clear that there are some regional variations - names that you only see in the US for example.

If you want to be safe, I'd go with Pharmaceutical sales representative that one is used everywhere


in India it is called M.R (Medical Representative). my father is doctor.so usually many M.R come to visit at our home.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .