How do you describe this step of putting on shoes? Suppose you want to teach a kid how to wear their shoes.

"...and then ____."

Can I say:

"and then pull up the heels"?


Some people (specially men) use a special tool for easing this action too (3rd picture).

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here


You generally use a shoehorn to slide the heel of your foot into a shoe


  • A tool used to assist putting the foot into a shoe by sliding the heel in.


  • 1
    Interesting! We say "to pull up the hill (of the shoes)" and you refer to the opposite action:"to slide the heel (of your foot) in"! Thanks, @Josh61. Happy to learn "shoehorn" too. :) – Soudabeh Jun 23 '16 at 9:05
  • 2
    shoehorn is also a verb. you can shoehorn something into place. – dbliss Jun 23 '16 at 13:56
  • @dbliss - very true. Bizarrely I'm not sure I'd use it for shoes though! "I shoehorned on my shoes" sounds weird, probably because of the repeated "shoe". – AndyT Jun 23 '16 at 15:27
  • 1
    @AndyT i agree! was thinking that when i posted. the verb, i think, tends to be used figuratively: e.g., maybe, "we managed to shoehorn a sick fight scene into that rom com script." – dbliss Jun 23 '16 at 17:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.