I'm currently stumped trying to remember the word for when someone does something or says something in a consistent manner as part of their personality. For example, my friend Sam always shrugs his shoulders high and smiles when my coworkers ask him redundant questions. I wanna say that's his personality quip or gesture but I know that's not the right word. I feel like it starts with a P but I could be wrong.

2 Answers 2


I like this one best

: a person's particular way of talking or moving

But some other possibilities include

  1. practice
  2. pattern
  3. propensity
  4. habit
  5. quirk
  6. idiosyncrasy
  • Can you add summaries of the other words as well? Jun 25, 2016 at 2:26

The word that I would use is

mannerism - something that a person does repeatedly with their face, hands, or voice, and that they may not realize they are doing.

If it is particularly unusual, you could call it a quirk or foible

quirk - an unusual habit or part of someone's personality, or something that is strange and unexpected

foible - a strange habit or characteristic that is seen as not important and not harming anyone


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .