Mudflats or mud flats, also known as tidal flats, are coastal wetlands that form when mud is deposited by tides or rivers.

They are usually found in flat areas where water collects in pools.

I think that it should be that are formed and water gets collected. Is there personification used? Is it right to say,

"Mudflats are coastal wetlands that form when mud deposits by tides or rivers"?

  • 2
    "Form" can be both transitive and intransitive verb.
    – Cardinal
    Commented Jul 30, 2016 at 13:49
  • 2
    Can you explain a bit more please?
    – Anubhav
    Commented Jul 30, 2016 at 14:58
  • @AnubhavSingh, have you studied transitive and intransitive verbs? Commented Jul 30, 2016 at 18:04
  • 1
    I don't think this should be closed as answerable by a dictionary. I can see the confusion between "water collects in pools" and "water gets collected in pools" and think a good explanation would be helpful to other learners. The question could use some refinement, but I think it is OK to leave it open for answers in its current state.
    – ColleenV
    Commented Jul 30, 2016 at 20:31
  • 1
    @AnubhavSingh This answer by StoneyB should be helpful: ell.stackexchange.com/a/54554/3281. Look for the "middle voice" part. Commented Aug 1, 2016 at 4:54

1 Answer 1


All thanks goes to Damkerng T.'s comment for providing me direction:

The sentences given in the question are correct as they stand. This type of speech is called mediopassive voice.By Wikipedia,

The mediopassive voice is a grammatical voice that subsumes the meanings of both the middle voice and the passive voice.

An excellent list of examples is taken as:

The book reads well.

The trousers wash easily.

Ripe oranges peel well.

The lost language from which all Indo-European languages derive.

Hydrogen combines.

About 2nd part of the question, I am not sure if we can use it two times in a sentence.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .