I wonder which form(s) are correct amongst the following:

The pronouns present in the text are marked in bold.

The pronouns present in the text are marked in bold letters.

  • Just in bold. "The pronouns present in the text are marked in bold." – Mark Hubbard Aug 4 '16 at 19:17
  • There's nothing wrong with either of them... another option is "in bold lettering" or "in bold text"... it's all up to you. – Catija Aug 4 '16 at 19:18
  • Either is acceptable and their meanings are identical. – P. E. Dant Reinstate Monica Aug 4 '16 at 19:18
  • @MarkHubbard, Both are correct.Here is an Ngram for "in bold letters". books.google.com/ngrams/… – JavaLatte Aug 4 '16 at 19:19

You just use "in bold."

Including "letters" is not incorrect, but omitting it is more common.

However, if you were describing the design of the letters, you might refer to a particular design as "a bold typeface," or "a bold font." The difference between typeface and font is another question for another day – they're generally interchangeable in normal conversation and writing, but in a technical discussion they refer to different things.

Another related term is to embolden, which is the verb for causing text to appear in bold. It's falling out of favour now, and you're unlikely to see it outside of formal texts. In common conversation, you're more likely to hear to bold or to make bold in its place.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.